Watkinson Glass Associates

Sailors BethelSailors Bethel1Sailors Bethel2Sailors Bethel3Sailors Bethel4

Sailors’ Bethel, Newcastle Quayside

Decorative etched glass canopy for entrance to the building.

The Sailors’ Bethel is a small red brick  church building on Horatio St Newcastle Quayside. No longer used as a church the building is now owned by a firm of landscape architects. Although sensitively converted into offices spaces on the inside, it remains much the same as it has always been since it was built in 1877, on the outside. It has a rather interesting needle-like spire clad in decorative lead flashing. It is, apparently the only church in Newcastle to have a gargoyle.

There is picture of the building in the Laing Art Gallery painted in 1965 by L.S. Lowry.